Contact a lawyer now

Do You Have to File Taxes With Your Spouse in Canada

Do You Have to File Taxes With Your Spouse in Canada

Do you have to file taxes with your spouse in Canada? In this blog post, you will find a comprehensive guideline from our experts. While you are engaged and organizing your special day, notifying the CRA of your relationship status is likely not your priority list. However, it would be best if you considered it before filing your taxes. There are some things you should know about filing income tax as a couple in Canada.

Apart from that, A common-law or married couple can pool costs and utilize information from their spouse’s returns to reduce taxes or enhance tax credit amount.

In this article, we will talk about filing taxes with your spouse in Canada. Therefore, keep reading till the end of this informative article. Besides, to get an effective suggestion, consult your queries with an experienced lawyer in Canada.

Now, let’s get started.

Filing Tax Returns When You Have a Spouse

Spousal tax records are always submitted individually – that is, the tax forms are made respectively. Conversely, when the tax information is filed using individual income tax return applications, most applications will include the options of “coupling” the filing of both forms. The forms are printed and filed individually, but the application will typically highlight the methods to reduce taxes. It will apply for the spouse income tax credit automatically if it is available.

On the other hand, you must disclose your relationship status as of December 31st of the previous tax year. This is accomplished on page 1 of the tax form by checking the appropriate box. The following are the contents of the boxes:

  1. currently in a relationship.
  2. Common-law marriage
  3. Widowed
  4. Divorced – once separated, your status remains unchanged whether you marry or remarry.
  5. Distinctive
  6. A single person

Keep in mind that if you and your partner are not staying separately and apart from on December 31st due to the breakdown of the marriages or common-law relationships, you are still considering the marriage or dwelling common-law if you live away from one another, whatever the reason.

Unless there is a separation, the main report after being divorced for more than 90 days, a change in the marital status must be reported to CRA by the end of the month in which it occurred.

However, the starting date of your separation status is the day you decided to live separately and apart after being detached for 90 days due to a breakup in the marital relationship.

Claiming Tax Credits And Deductions With A Spouse

The other partner can get a spousal tax incentive if one partner is economically inactive or he/ she has low earnings. There are a few tax credits that may be linked and received on both the spouses’ returns:

Healthcare Costs

Both spouses’ expenditures should be merged and filed on one spouse’s taxable income. All medical costs for both couples should be recorded on the spouse’s returns with the minimum income taxes.

This is because the healthcare expenditures tax credit only applies to costs that exceed the lower of 3% of net earnings or a certain amount. Additionally, the lower-earning spouse’s net profits will be reduced by 3%. As this is a tax incentive rather than a deductible, the ratio used to compute the tax incentive should be the same for both spouses.


Since the tax incentive for the first $200 in donations is at the lowest tax ratio, the contribution for both couples should be merged and recorded on one spouse’s taxable income.

It usually doesn’t matter which partner gets the tax incentive because the amount is often the same for both. But, if the higher-income spouse earns enough money to be taxable at the maximum federal ratio, the tax incentive for that spouse will also be larger.

However, it would help if you verified that the donations are entirely used, which may benefit the spouse with a higher income. If the contributions are not entirely used, the Canadian Tax Calculator will alert you within the shortest possible time.

Spouses Residing in Different Provinces

Federal allowances can still be transferable using agenda two of the taxable income if one spouse lives in a different province than the other. As soon as the qualifying standards are satisfied, this is possible.

Apparently, no remaining funds can be reallocated from one life partner to another if you and your spouse were divorced for a period of 3 months or more included December 31st of the tax year, due to a breakup in your relationships.

Apart from that, Provincial funds may also be transferable through using the provincial agenda two of the spouse to whom the remaining funds are being effortlessly transferred.

For the different provinces in Canada, there are a few exceptions to this.  It’s equally possible that even if one of you is working in another Canadian province, you are both still inhabitants of the same provincial capital.

In Conclusion

To sum up, the whole thing, when you are married or in a common-law relationship, you must modify your relationship status—in Canada, filing taxes with your spouse or as a couple has a good number of implications on your credits and deductions as well.

Therefore, make sure to take these opportunities and try your level best to utilize the tax applications to guarantee you get the most out of your benefits.

For instance, Children will be automatically transferred to the female partner’s file, and she will be entitled to children’s tax advantages. Either spouse may receive the key benefits in a same-sex relationship.

When you get married, your overall household income may vary. Thus, your working taxation benefits amount can fluctuate as well. If it applies to your circumstance, you have to fill out a new application as soon as possible.