If you are reading this note, you are surely going through a divorce process, and any advice, information, tip, or suggestion is good. The information never hurts, especially if it comes from people who have already had a similar experience. Every first visite with a lawyer raises the question- what to ask a divorce lawyer before hiring?
These following questions came out of a survey among people who are divorcing and lawyers, gathering the experience of people who have already been through this and the professionals who took their cases. If you are wondering what to ask a divorce lawyer before hiring, go on and read.
Take note, I insist, the information never hurts.
Learn about the operation of your lawyer’s practice
It is sometimes difficult to address the financial issue. In order to avoid any unpleasant surprises during the divorce proceedings, it is essential to approach the first appointment the question of his fees:
- How much is his fee based on the chosen divorce procedure, and exactly what his fees include?
- What will be the amount of additional costs in case of extension of the divorce proceedings (referral, appeal, etc.)?
- Does he accept legal aid?
- How can we save money?
Indeed, not all lawyers accept legal aid. It is, therefore, important if you can benefit from a total or partial help, to ask from the first consultation if the lawyer, it.
Learn about the progress of the divorce proceedings
The first appointment with the lawyer is to explain to the spouses the progress of the divorce proceedings. It is therefore essential to ask the lawyer about the different possibilities of the divorce procedure and how it works:
- What are the various existing divorce procedures, and which one is best suited to my application?
- What are the different stages of the chosen divorce procedure and its average length?
- Is it possible to change the divorce procedure once the file is filed, and if so, how?
It is indeed during this first meeting that your lawyer becomes aware of your situation and its possible particularities or difficulties. He will be in the best person to advise you on the most appropriate procedure. Otherwise, he can advise you if you already have an idea of the divorce proceedings you wish to initiate.
Know the consequences of divorce
It is also essential to learn about the general consequences of divorce and its rights. During this meeting, the lawyer deals with these questions in a general way.The questions will, of course, be developed during your next appointments or your exchanges:
- Should we share the common patrimony, or will the judge share it? Is the use of a notary essential?
- What exactly is the compensatory allowance, and should it be considered?
- Is the division of wealth taxable?
- Who sets the terms of residence and the amount of child support?
- What legal actions can you take if the ex-partner does not meet children’s alimony?
- What rights and what obligations do you have with respect to children?
All the consequences of divorce can not be expected at this first meeting. But your lawyer will inform you about the first steps to be taken, as well as the issues that may be considered or discussed between the spouses following this interview.
There is no set of rules for a good lawyer, and it is complex to establish a better and worse thing. Because beyond professionalism, there are human qualities to be judged. Now, you know what to ask a divorce lawyer before hiring? Any advice? First, outline a legal model you would like for your divorce and use these questions to hire a lawyer who best meets your needs.